Saturday, February 12, 2011

Mobile, Alabama

We took the long-way across the panhandle of Florida, from Panama City to Pensacola, instead of staying on I-10 because I wanted to see the beaches I had heard about there.


We did not take the time to stop, but from the RV I could see the sugar white sand along the water. It was really striking. If you did not know it was sand, you would think it was snow. It was absolutely pure white.
Mobile, AL 003
The ocean is in the distance and the sugar white sand dunes lay between the roadway and the water.
Mobile, AL 006
The only other place I have ever seen sand this white, was last year at White Sand National Monument in New Mexico.

Mobile, AL 009


Mobile, AL 005
The white sand makes shallow water an unusual shade of pale green. Out further it is more turquoise colored.


When we arrived in Mobile, Alabama, we stayed at a state park on Mobile Bay. We were able to park overlooking the water.
Mobile, AL 016
In the distance, the cars on Interstate 10 crossed the bay on an elevated roadway above the water.
Mobile, AL 014
At the park, there were also a couple of piers for walking out onto the bay.
Mobile, AL 020
I, of course wanted to go out and take some pictures. I could see the skyline of Mobile in the distance which made for a nice photo op. Then I noticed a sign and walked closer to see what it said…
Mobile, AL 012
WHOA!!! I quickly backed away and kept a close eye on the ground and grasses between me and the water. Do they really think I would do that??? Do they think I carry raw chickens in my pockets and a pokey stick behind my back?? Well, they needn't have worried.


Later Don and I took a short hike down a path that had tall grass on both sides. It led to one of the piers.


With one eye closely watching the ground, I told myself there is safety in numbers and that alligators can’t eat two people at the same time. Of course, at the first snarl from an alligator, there was no guarantee that Don would not have taken off and left me in the dust to deal with "Alli" on my own. 


I felt better when we got on the elevated wooden pier and I could look down at whatever might be in the weeds.
Mobile, AL 022
The pier rose above water and swampy ground and I felt safer walking there.
Mobile, AL 027
In other places the sea grass stood tall above our heads, but we were still well above the ground and whatever may have been lurking down there.
Mobile, AL 028
I enjoyed the contrast between the blue of the sky and water and the yellow of the sea grass.
Mobile, AL 029
We could see the RV park from the pier.


That night we stopped at a restaurant, Felix’s Fish Camp, that we had discovered last year. The last time we went there, it was in a driving rain and we practically had the place to ourselves. They told us there were great views across Mobile Bay, but that night we could barely see beyond the glass of the window so had to take their word for it.
Mobile, AL 030
In spite of the almost tumble-down appearance of the building, it is the intended exterior décor, and inside it a very nice restaurant with great food. When it’s not pouring rain, reservations are usually required. We highly recommend it if you are going through Mobile.


This year the weather was much better and we found they were right about the view. The setting sun put on an impressive show for us as it sunk into the sea.
Mobile, AL 032


Mobile, AL 035


Mobile, AL 040
The next day as we headed out of Mobile we crossed the Mississippi River over an unusually high bridge.
Mobile, AL 043


Mobile, AL 045
The river, as always, was busy with boats and barges as it is a working, albeit very wet, highway.


Next Blog: Lafayette, Louisiana

No comments:

Post a Comment